My Discipline Model Name: Suzes Rulzes
Brief, narrative description of model:My discipline model is like a jigsaw puzzle. I take different pieces from several educational discipline models to make a whole. Each student is different, as is each situation, so I need to be flexible to handle the discipline issue in the best fit way. I have made mistakes, but I have always strived to reflect to figure out a better way to handle the situation for the next time. Also, I use different models during different times of the school year. In the beginning I use Assertive Discipline, but Rogerian towards the end, when I have established a relationship with the students.
Listed below are the discipline models I use, not everyday, but on a “need” to basis. Again, situations and students are different and so it calls for different discipline models.
Love and Logic- This year teaching AP, Love and Logic has been a saving grace. AP kids like to argue and call you out on anything and everything. My favorite thing to say to a student who is being sassy is, “Thanks for sharing.” After awhile they start to not speak to me in such a manner.
Cooperative- In this discipline, I confront the student who is misbehaving. For an example, I have a student who is motivated by peer pressure. If I call out a grade on a test, or the fact that he did not turn in a homework assignment, he straightens up. I am only able to do this because I have a relationship with this student. It is important to assess the student before you make a decision as to how to handle him/her.
Assertive- The beginning of the year is crucial to the making or breaking of a class. At the beginning of the year, I am an assertive teacher. I do not let anything slide. I apply positive consequences when expectations are met and negative consequences when they are not. My students know my expectations the very first day of school. As the year goes on, I ease up, but the first 3 months of school, I am a pretty tough lady.
Rogerian- I like this model because it places the consequence back on the student. I think this model is the best to teach kids how to be adults. They need to learn how to problem solve. Its ironic when you are young you don’t want anyone to tell you what to do; but as you get older, you want someone to make the decisions for you. I think its because people have made consequences up for you throughout out your childhood and adolescence.
Preventative- I mostly use this model. I am very organized! I prevent discipline issue due to the fact that my kids work from the moment they walk into the door till the moment they walk out. I “trained” them to pick up their materials as they walk into the door, so we can get started as soon as the bell quits ringing. It helps cut out down time. I also have work for them to do after a test to help keep them quite. As well as I make my photocopies in advance so if I need more things to do, we don’t do busy work, we are able to continue on.
Positive- I love to use PAT Time. My kids love vocabulary baseball, inner/outer circles (used for discussion) and the usage of BAM boards. They love to review for tests using my Jeopardy! game on PowerPoint. Its just a fun way for them to learn material and review.
All in all, I use each behavior model to make my own. But the most important thing that I have learned in dealing with discipline is build rapport with my kids. You have to earn their respect before they will do as you ask. And it starts with the first day.
Overt Teacher Behavior:
PAT Time: vocabulary baseball, Jeopardy!, inner/outer circles, Bam Boards
Games
JagCards
Verbal Recognition
Display achieved work
Covert Teacher Behavior:
Limit Setting
Eye contact--composed face
Proximity
Calming gesture
Place hand on the pupil's desk or book
Open student's book and point at work to be started
Tap on teacher's desk
Personal contact
Peer pressure [may assist but not something teacher can direct]
Model expected behavior
Point to posted rule
Circle child who is asleep/off-task while continuing lecture
The Stare
Silence [then follow up with gesture when the student looks up]
Ignore intentionally
Talk with student after class
Nod or point with eye contact
Moving in
Point at student
Hand gestures, e.g., palm down or out, thumbs down
Incorporate student who is off-task into the demonstration
Educational Insights: What glimpses, indications, signals, warnings, or advice would you offer to a new teacher based on your experience and your new knowledge gained from this course?
I have been teaching for four years and in those four years I have two pieces of advice.
1. You will want to quit after your first year of teaching, but you need to give it another year. I promise the second year is so much better!
2. To learn their names by the end of the first week. This impresses the kids, makes them feel like you really do care, and if you need to re-direct their behavior, calling them by names, makes them respond to your requests so much faster and with more respect.
Strengths:
Being flexible is a strength in dealing with students. You have to adapt to new models in dealing with kids. Discipline needs to change as the years go on. Society makes kids change and teachers change. By being flexible and using different discipline models, you are better at ganging what your students need to be successful.
Limitations:
If you do not build rapport with your students from the beginning of the year, my model will not work. You have to be able to know what your kids expect from you and what you expect from them at the beginning or you will not be successful.
Why do you believe your model will work with students?
I think my model works well with students because being flexible is what it is all about. You have to get to know your kids, assess them, know their background, and then figure out what models works best. You do need to have your ground model, the one you refer back to when all else fails. My ground model is the Preventative Model. Just eliminate as many problems up front as possible.
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Discipline Journal #5
Posted by The Suzinator at 12/03/2008 03:49:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment