CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

ETEC 597 Journaling Assignment (Sept 17th)

Allow myself to introduce...myself; my name is Suz Massey and I am excited about this semester's classes. This is my fourth year at JHHS. I teach APUSH and US History. I am a bit stressed with AP. This is my first year teaching this course and I feel like a new teacher again. I am planning lessons, writing up tests, trying to think of creative ways to use technology and getting it to work. I am originally from Connecticut and graduated from the University of Utah in 2003. I have lived in Texas for the past 5 years and love it! My only complaint is that it is H-O-T Hot!

My Educational Philosophy
My approach to teaching is largely based on the understanding that I am both an educator as well as a student. Conversely, my students are both learners and teachers. Not only do I continue to study and gain insight into historical issues, but I also listen to my students’ perspectives and learn from them. I expect the same reciprocal learning process from them as well. Learning is a lifelong endeavor, as is teaching; they are inherently connected and this relationship needs stronger recognition. Too often the classroom is a place where the teacher only teaches and the students only learn a little. To truly teach to one’s potential one should model the learning process.

Definition of Educational Technology
The practice of facilitating learning by improving technology and using it creatively in the classroom.

Skills I'd Like to Develop
- EXCEL
- By passing the Mesquite Blocked Sites for classroom purpose
- How to embed video into PowerPoints
- How to make interactive PowerPoints
- How to make my classroom website better
- How to make an online grade book for parents and students
- How to import names from Chancery to grade book programs
- What other things can I do in the classroom with the technology that I have.

Right now, I do not see any barriers to my learning how to do these things. I do see a problem with the technology in the class actually working. My classroom computer, the one where I take roll, etc; has been broken since last May and was barely fixed.

Reflection on Videos
In response to the videos we watched in class, I am all for learning how to use technology in the classroom! I am apprehensive because I am not familiar with everything that is out there, but a student can teach me. Again, learning is a lifelong endeavor and one should reflect the learning process. If my students see me learning a new skill, struggling with it, and then becoming successful; they are more likely to learn new skills and stick with them. I am tired of people complaining about the use of technology. Quit complaining and learn how!!! Its not going to go away. My only complaint of using technology in the classroom is that technology does not always work. If you have planned a lesson using technology, and it doesn't work, then what are you left with?

I am excited about this class. I am exited to learn new skills and build upon the ones that I already know. I am excited to help others through the learning process.

0 comments: