I. Data Collection:
Situation #1
A. 8 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. Student was wearing black denim jeans. As the student entered the room, I noticed she was wearing black denim jeans. I asked her to put her things down and to come talk to me. I asked her whey she was wearing jeans. She responded that she had worn them all of last year and no one had said anything to her. I said, well I noticed and that I was going to write her up for dress code violation. She was compliant and went to the office with her referral.
D. The consequence was a referral. She received a warning. I do think that she the consequence was deserved. Her basketball coach made her run for the referral.
E. The student acted very appropriately. She is on the basketball team and knew she was already in trouble with the referral and did not want to cause any more problems. Our relationship is still really good. I send other kids down for dress code violations as well, so she knows I am consistent and not just picking on her.
Situation # 2
A. 10 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade APUSH
C. Students were talking and laughing during lecture. My AP students are usually really good kids. They are respectful, bright, do their work, and are on task. For whatever reason, they would not stop talking. I was trying to teach about the Church of England and while my back was turned they kept giggling. I had a PowerPoint ready, provided guided notes, and had a video set up for checking for understanding.
D. I turned around and shouted, what is so funny? I am not laughing. What are you giggling about? I stood there for a good 5 minutes waiting for them to tell me. Finally after a long awkward silence, a boy said, are you being serious? I said, “I am very serious. What are you laughing at?” Some more time went by and finally another boy said, “We are sorry for giggling.” I said “thank you,” and we went about the lesson.
E. I really don’t like how I handled this situation. I lost self control and took it out on my kids. It was the end of the day and I was tired. The rest of the class period it was awkward and no one was having a good time. It was stale and silent. It is just now getting back to normal. It was harder to teach them knowing that I was upset and they felt like I was attacking them. I should have remained calmer rather than shouting at them. They were confused obviously because I had never acted this way and they asked if I was being serious.
Situation #3
A. 12 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. Jeans day for staff and students. Two students were wearing bedazzled jeans. I sent both students down with referrals because of their bedazzled jeans. Both were compliant and went without any disruption. I told them that I was unsure if they were appropriate and I’d let the APs make the call.
D. Both boys received referrals and both got warnings for wearing inappropriate jeans. I think the consequence was deserved.
E. I thanked the boys for going and being respectful. They said you are welcome and we went on with class. Both boys were active in learning and not a problem. I noticed other students put themselves in dress code to avoid referrals. Both students and others in the class know that I am not messing around with dress code and that it is my expectation that they are in dress code at all times.
Situation # 4
A. 12 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. Student comes to class tardy every 3B. I knew that this student was in prison last year for assault and I knew that I had to work with him in a very respectful manner. The second time he was late, I told him that I was giving him a warning and that he needed to make it on time to class. He said, yes ma’ma and we went about our class. He is a hard worker in class and does not cause me any problems, just the tardies. The third time he was late, I asked him to stay outside while I gave instruction to the rest of the class. He was bout 11mins late this time. After giving instruction I told him that I had been very lineate before and was upset that he was not showing me the respect that I deserved. He kept his head down and did not say anything to me. He took my scolding harshly.
D. The consequence was yet another warning. I have to be careful with this student. We have get along great right now and I do not want him to start to distrust me. I want him to know that I will work with him. I can sweat the small stuff, if he does what he needs to do to pass.
E. The rapport with this student now is unsure. He kept his head down the entire time and did not have much to say to me. He is usually doing his work and smiling. I think that he was embarrassed that I kept him outside. I used him as an example for the others not to be late. He hasn’t been late since. I think that we still have good rapport.
Situation # 5
A. 15 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade APUSH
C. Student skipped my 4A class. I had seen him in the hallway between passing periods. I emailed his mother and informed the attendance office.
D. The student is going to be taken to court on truancy violation. His mother dealt with him at home.
E. This student asked me if he could be switched out of my class and into the other AP teacher’s 4A. I told him that he was welcome to talk to his counselor, but schedules had been finalized. I taught him last year, so we have good rapport, but its becoming shaky.
Situation # 6
A. 15 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. A student has not been turning in work and has been inattentive in class. I emailed his mother about his grade and expressed my concern. I think that there may be more than meets the eye. This student could possibly be on drugs. His mother asked for a conference and we ended up talking for almost 2 hours. Apparently this student had some trouble over the summer with substance abuse. I informed all of his teachers, counselor, and principle to be on the look out.
D. There was not a specific consequence. His parents are dealing with more issues than are at hand. At this point I am more worried about him staying clean, rather than turning in work.
E. I have decided to keep an extra eye on this student. He is uneasy around me. He does his work in class and is respectful to me. He does not know that I know about his drug use or that his mother and I talked. All he knows is that I emailed her about his work ethic. Things are shaky with him as well.
Situation #7
A. 16 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade APUSH
C. Student is not turning work at all. He sleeps in class and is not being successful. I emailed his mother and informed her about his lack of work ethic. I did not hear back from her, so I called their home. I talked with his older sister. His mother was at the hospital with her father. I asked that his mother call me back, but she has yet to do so. I talked with this student at the beginning of the week. I told him that I understood that his grandfather was sick and that his brother was in Iraq. I said, your family is under a lot of stress right now. But one way you can support and show love to your family is by dong well in school. He got teary eyed. At the next class meeting, he moved himself up to an empty seat in the front and has been turning in work.
D. The consequence of this student was actually positive. He did not receive a “punishment” from me, but he did decide to move himself where he’d have fewer distractions.
E. I guess our talk helped this student want to do well. His English teacher, who is a good friend of mine, also talked with him. We have good rapport. He tells me about his grandfather’s progress and updates me about his brother in Iraq. I am sure to ask him how things are going and he is willing to share.
Situation # 8
A. 17 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. Student kept saying “shut up” as Mr. Coplin, one of our APs, was on the announcements talking about bullying.
D. There was no consequence. I chose to ignore this student, which I regret. I pretended that I did not hear her. The reason I chose not to say anything was because she is a girl that can have a lot of attitude and I was not in the mood to fight with her. I knew we’d have a fight because another teacher had a similar situation occur in her classroom the day before. She had said “shut up” to another student. This other teacher called her to her desk and things got worse.
E. I do not have good rapport with this student. I am friendly with her and say hello to her in the halls, but I do regret not asking her to not say “shut up.” I would have shown consistency and backed up the other teacher had I talked with her.
Situation # 9
A. 17 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. On my conference periods or during lunch I see one of my students wandering the halls. I asked him what he was doing and he said that he was heading to his counselor. I said, oh great, I am heading there now, I’ll walk you. He was compliant. This student whom I have first period would put his head down. As soon as class was over, I pulled him aside and asked him why he had his head down. He said it was from lack of sleep. I said that I was not going to let him fail this year, since he needs to pass TAKS to graduate. He understands that I am someone who will not let him do whatever he wants. When he asked to use the restroom I let him go, but tell him he has 7 minutes. (I am the farthest portable so it does take more than 5 mins). He is always back on time and gets back to work.
D. Since this student has not broken any rules there has not been a consequence. Once he starts to come back from restroom breaks late or puts his head down again in class, then I will take further action with him. The next step would be to cal his parent.
E. I think I am building great rapport with this student. He says hello to me in the halls and before I can ask what he is doing out of class, he says he is on his way back and would love for me to walk with him to class. We talk about all sorts of things. He is still not the best student, but he is respectful to me and knows that I am on to him in a good way.
Situation # 10
A. 19 Sept 2008
B. 11th grade US History
C. Student was texting on his phone in his lap. I noticed that this student was texting on her phone during a video with notes. The first time I walked by she put it away. The second time I held out my hand and she gave it to me. I told my students at the beginning of the year that I would take up their phone and give it back as long as they did not put up a fight with me. This works really well. I rarely have kids using their phones during class. I think it is because it’s not “forbidden”. If informed her that if she continues to use her phone in class then I will take it to the office.
D. No consequence here. This student is a great student. She does well in all of her classes. She did not “sass the Suz,” as I say, so she got her phone back. I just removed the distraction.
E. We went about our business and when school was out I said thank you for giving me your phone. And she replied with thank you for giving it back. She hasn’t gotten her phone out since. Nor have others in the class.
II. Situation That I Handled Well
Description of the incident:
Student was not turning in his work at all. He slept in class and was not being successful. I had approached this student several times and still did not have the desired response.
Specific Steps:
I emailed his mother and informed her about his lack of work ethic. I did not hear back from her, so I called their home. I talked with his older sister. His mother was at the hospital with her father. I asked that his mother call me back, but she has yet to do so. I talked with this student at the beginning of the week. I told him that I understood that his grandfather was sick and that his brother was in Iraq. I said, your family is under a lot of stress right now. But one way you can support and show love to your family is by dong well in school. He got teary eyed. At the next class meeting, he moved himself up to an empty seat in the front and has been turning in work. He is not perfect and does miss an assignment or two, but he is attentive in class and his quiz grades are going up.
Reflection:
I guess our talk helped this student want to do well. His English teacher, who is a good friend of mine, also talked with him. We have good rapport. He tells me about his grandfather’s progress and updates me about his brother in Iraq. I am sure to ask him how things are going and he is willing to share. I believe in actually talking with kids first to see what the problem is. Then if the behavior does not change, I will inform a parent. It is also useful to know where the kids are coming from. I too wouldn’t worry about history if my brother was in Iraq or if my mother’s father was dying. We are working together for him to be successful.
III. Situation That I Did Not Handel Well
Description of Incident:
Student kept saying “shut up” as Mr. Coplin, one of our APs, was on the announcements talking about bullying. I was in the process of getting my Epson and PowerPoint up and running for the days lesson.
Specific Steps:
There was no consequence. I chose to ignore this student, which I regret. I pretended that I did not hear her. The reason I chose not to say anything was because she is a girl that can have a lot of attitude and I was not in the mood to fight with her. I knew we’d have a fight because another teacher had a similar situation occur in her classroom the day before. She had said “shut up” to another student. This other teacher called her to her desk and things got worse.
Reflection:
If I could do it over again, I would have given this student the teacher look, letting her know that I heard her and disapproved. I think would have asked her to come outside with me, once the class was working to ask her why she was saying “shut up” to Mr. Coplin’s announcement. Perhaps she is being bullied or been accused of being bullied.
I do not have good rapport with this student. I am friendly with her and say hello to her in the halls, but I do regret not asking her to not say “shut up.” I would have shown consistency and backed up the other teacher had I talked with her. I should have been an example and stood and listened to the announcements while they were on. Students learn best by example. It could have been avoided.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
DISCIPLINE JOURNAL #1
Posted by The Suzinator at 9/23/2008 09:41:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment