What? Currently we are studying the Progressive Age in APUSH. I chose to do a Venn Diagram for comparison of Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois. I chose this strategy because all of my students were already familiar with it.
So What? This strategy worked very well. The students were able to see that even though both of these men had the same goal, they approached equal rights in two different ways. DuBois demanded equal rights immediately where Washington took a more moderate approach. The data that I have that provided feedback was the class discussion. It started off about Washington and DuBois, but then it moved towards Alice Paul and Elizabeth Cady Stanton, Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson, etc. They were able to see how goals were met to better the nation even though these individuals had different tactics. It lead to a discussion about Obama and former President W. Bush.
Now What? I plan to use this strategy over and over. I was surprised that the kids were able to make better sense of the Progressive Era simply by comparing individuals with similar goals. I was also pleased that we were able to bring in current issues and talk about tactics.
Monday, February 9, 2009
SED 513: Secondary School Curriculum- Marzano chpt 2
Posted by The Suzinator at 2/09/2009 07:22:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment