I found that the MAP activity was very helpful. I was able to show/teach my students about credible sources this past week. We started a research project in the library and I showed them the Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. site written by Stormfront. They were all surprised, including our librarian! I am requiring that the students have two online sources and a print source for their projects. For the online sites, they have to provide the host's information to get full credit for the MLA citation.
Information literacy is knowing how to sort through the vast amount of information available on the web. I am guilty of googling and referencing Wikipedia when I need a quick answer, but what if the information is wrong? And if it is, then not only have I been misinformed, so have my students.
I find it valuable to see who is writing what. I teach my students about perspective, propaganda, about primary and secondary sources, so why wouldn't I teach them about credible sources on the Internet. Fredrick Douglas who has written about slavery after the Civil War, has a very different perspective than a slave owner. So it is important to teach how to get information correctly and how to use it.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
ETEC 597: October 8th Class
Posted by The Suzinator at 10/12/2008 04:17:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment